Great BBQ Ideas
We tried this one last year for the first time and I must say it was a GREAT SUCCESS!
BBQ Grilled Pizza YUM!
We couldn’t be bothered to make our own dough that day so we opted for bakery bought ready dough, all we had to do was roll it out and slap it on the Bar-B! Usually we frown heavily on store bought items but this is different only because buying fresh from a reputable bakery is not the same as buying frozen or boxed ready made from a supermarket. If you don’t know what I mean, well just ask and I’ll elaborate…but come on…you know what I mean.
BBQ Grilled Pizza Directions:
- Preheat grill for high heat. Heat olive oil with garlic for 30 seconds in the microwave. Set aside. Punch down dough, and divide in half. Form each half into an oblong shape 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush grill grate with garlic flavored olive oil. Carefully place one piece of dough on hot grill. The dough will begin to puff almost immediately. When the bottom crust has lightly browned, turn the dough over using two spatulas. Working quickly, brush oil over crust, and then brush with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce. Arrange 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/8 cup sliced black olives, and 1/8 cup roasted red peppers over crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons basil. Close the lid, and cook until the cheese melts. Remove from grill, and set aside to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the second pizza.
Basically you want the dough to “seize” and stiffen then flip it over and you can start adding your toppings. Also important to keep it thin and manageable, you’re not going to be making jumbo meat lover’s pizzas on the BBQ but more personal thin crust style pizzas that are totally delicious.
Next Great BBQ Idea for this long weekend is…
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches, WOOHOO!
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich Ingredients:
- 6 lbs pork butt roast
- Garlic to taste
- Salt to taste
- Barbecue sauce of your choice and/or of your own making
- You can use, 8 to 12 hamburger buns, french baguette bread, kaiser rolls, whatever you want really. Improvise if you need to!
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich Cooking Directions
The trick to this one is…it starts in the oven……shhhhhhhhhhhhh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Place roast in a large enough roasting pan, sprinkle with garlic and salt, and cover with foil or pan cover.
- Bake in preheated oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted reads 160 degrees F Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Grill roast for 10 minutes on each side.
- You can now return roast to the pan, and shred the meat using two forks. Stir in barbecue sauce.
- This step is optional in my opinion, as once the pork is roasted and pulled, you’re done, but you could, if you so desired, return to the oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through. OR you could heat the bbq sauce and mix it in while you shred the pork.