Why it’s awesome: This cake has no eggs, no dairy, and no refined sugar and yet it’s still ridiculously moist, delicious and versatile (you can serve/eat it pretty much at all hours of the day). Once you have all the ingredients, this is very quick to put together and is one of the best breakfast cakes you can bake.
We tweaked a recipe from this great book (written specifically for those with a sweet tooth and problematic stomach and allergy problems).
This is the recipe’s page.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 gluten-free vanilla rice milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups betsy’s baking mix
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice (organic sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup organic palm fruit oil shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1) Preheat the oven to 375f.
2) Lightly grease baking pan with canola oil.
5) In a larger bowl mix the baking mix, 1 cup of evaporated cane juice, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to blend in the shortening until it looks like meal. Blend in the flaxseed mixture, the milk/vinegar mix and the vanilla.
7) Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl, then sprinkle the resulting mixture on top of the batter.
8 ) Bake for 20-25 minutes (the top should be golden. To make sure it’s cooked, you can insert a toothpick in the center. It should come out clean).
9) Let the cake cool completely before serving.
All that’s left to do at this point is to enjoy the cake. So, please enjoy.