Sorry about the audio on this video! It’s my first one with movie maker! :\
History: Brie is a soft creamy cheese named after the French province of Brie where it originated. The white moldy rind is edible, and is not intended to be separated from the cheese before consumption.
Why it’s awesome: Melted cheese is a reason in itself as to why it’s awesome. Brie is a cheese that is very rich in flavor, once it is melted, the walnuts and onions simply bring out the best in this cheese.
Ingredients & Portions:
- 6-8 ounce wheel of Brie Cheese
- Enough walnuts to cover the wheel of cheese
- 1 Large onion, usually white onion does the trick
- Approximately 125ml of Olive Oil
Servings: This dish is meant to be an appetizer and the serving size depends on the size of the wheel of cheese. The wheel featured here was 8oz and fed 5 people
Cook time & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Rub oil on the a baking dish and place cheese in the dish, cover with tin foil.
- Place cheese dish in the oven for about 15 to 20 mins so that the cheese begins to melt.
- While your cheese is in the oven, begin to sauté your onions in a pan with a little bit of olive oil.
- Once they are golden brown, add your walnuts and lightly toast them with the onions together in the pan.
- Check to see if your cheese is melted by slicing the middle with a knife. If the cheese sticks to the knife your cheese is ready
- Now remove cheese from the oven, and pour the walnuts and caramelized onions over your cheese and serve immediately!
I prefer fresh crusty bread but you can also use pita, crouton style bread or whatever else you can dream up!
Nutritional Benefits: Well apart from the walnuts this one’s more hedonistic than it is healthy but sometimes it has to be about pleasure